Re: Western Sydney Airport and metro progress
  Tony Galloway

Yairs, things have changed.

To give an example of how stupid the “safety” situation has become, that signal electrician’s depot at Central next to 23 platform can’t be used because getting to it would involve crossing one track.

The level of intelligence insulting micromanagement inflicted on rail workers by know nothing Dunning-Krugers has done assive damage to morale and quality of life, attitudes like my last boss had, telling supervisors “if people are happy at work you are not doing your job properly”, has turned what was a great job up till the late 1980s, into a shit job ever since, with railway workers understanding all too well the contempt they have been held in by all governments since that date.

Many railway jobs are hard, unpleasant, and have to be done at antisocial times that mean you are separated from family and friends when they have spare time. Stupid and arbitrary “fatigue management” rules have made this worse. Despite not being paid 24/7 you are treated as if you are NEVER off work, with no respect for privacy or anything you do outside work. This is exacerbated because many of the bosses enforcing this stuff are deadshit losers who have ruined their own personal lives, losing their partners and families, and resent anyone who values their life more than their job, and won’t do the same.

One thing is for sure, the last place I’d recommend anyone to work these, particularly any of my kids, is the NSW rail industry.

Tony - proud to say no-one got run over when I was a PO4, but then there’s some that should have been.

> On 6 Dec 2023, at 21:11, Hunslet hunslet@...> wrote:

>

>

>

> Years ago, I underwent training for a Possessions Officer qualification, part of which was learning how and then doing, winding over a point. This was done at Central 25 platform during daylight, with trains running on both tracks, but nothing terminating. No possession, just watch for the lights going out. No flack jackets, if my memory serves me correctly – as it rarely does these days. Wouldn’t be done these days!!!! Somehow, I passed!

>

> Hunslet.

> From:tramsdownunder@... [mailto:tramsdownunder@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Tony Galloway

> Sent: Wednesday, 6 December 2023 4:12 PM

> To: tramsdownunder tramsdownunder@...>

> Subject: Re: [TramsDownUnder] Western Sydney Airport and metro progress

>

> None of the original tunnels (inc North Sydney and ESR) had walkways, you walked on the track against the direction of traffic, watching the train approach warning lights that gave you 90 seconds to get to an alcove. It's mostly single track tunnels, the only double track tunnel of any length is between Wynyard and Circular Quay.

>

> AFAIK all metro tunnels are single track so comparing them to the Airport Line isn’t applicable - the smaller diameter single track tunnels would have a bigger gap between the side of a train and the tunnel wall than the larger diameter double track Airport Line tunnel.

>

> And also, AFAIK the metro walkways are for evacuating stalled trains, I can’t see anyone entering a metro tunnel while trains are running. If passengers need to be cleared from a stuck train on the Airport Line they’d walk the down them adjacent track to the next station after holding all trains.

>

> Tony

>

>

>> On 6 Dec 2023, at 14:15, TP historyworks@... mailto:historyworks@smartchat.net.au> wrote:

>>

>> It would be interesting to know the bore diameter of this tunnel, compared with the metro tunnels, which have a walkway. It reminds of all that palaver years ago about the metro tunnels being too small for double deckers. So they're presumably smaller, yet they have a walkway?

>>

>> Tony P

>>

>> On Wednesday 6 December 2023 at 14:01:58 UTC+11 Tony Galloway wrote:

>>> The same problem would exist with single deck stock, even narrow stock like U sets.

>>>

>>> The double deck cars occupy virtually the same dynamic envelope as SD stock, the underfloor equipment filling the space that the lower deck occupies on DD stock.

>>>

>>> With a circular tunnel the only way you’d get a walkway in would be to make the entire bore larger.

>>>

>>> Tony

>>>

>>>

>>>> On 6 Dec 2023, at 12:01, TP histor...@...> wrote:

>>>>

>>>

>>>> I'm getting the picture that the Airport Line tunnels were not built "on the cheap", but because they decided that the technology had progressed sufficiently to build future rail tunnels using TBMs which have the advantage of lining the tunnels as they go and, judging by the metro lines, seem to be quicker than using roadheaders etc, then having to line the tunnels. The downside for double deckers of course is their vertical dimension as you say. That may have contributed to not being able to have a walkway inside the tunnel as the metro does, but as was mentioned above, they might have decided that, if work was required inside the tunnel, they could reroute trains onto the Illawarra surface tracks. I wasn't involved in the project post-approval so I have no insight into what happened subsequently.

>>>>

>>>> Tony P

>>>>

>>>> On Wednesday 6 December 2023 at 09:36:11 UTC+11 Tony Galloway wrote:

>>>>> It still has to meet standard structure/loading gauge clearances, but the round tunnel shape, of which about 15-20% is taken up by the track bed, means the tunnel walls are closer to the trains where the roof meets the sides of the cars, and lower where the fish bellies of the double deckers are close to the track.

>>>>>

>>>>> With this tightness there are no safe spaces for anyone on track where two trains are passing.

>>>>>

>>>>> Tony

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>>> On 5 Dec 2023, at 22:44, TP histor...@... mailto:histor...@smartchat.net.au> wrote:

>>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>>> If the line was tunneled with TBMs, resulting in lined tubular tunnels like the Sydney metro tunnels, I imagine that this would create a tighter clearance for double deck trains. All previous Sydney railway tunnels had vertical walls. Am I correct?

>>>>>>

>>>>>> Tony P

>>>>>>

>>>>>> On Tuesday, 5 December 2023 at 19:49:57 UTC+11 Tony Galloway wrote:

>>>>>>> The type of tunnel construction precluded having refuges, and with the alternative route through Sydenham available, diversions were the easier option if anything failed in the tunnel.

>>>>>>>

>>>>>>> Apparently.

>>>>>>>

>>>>>>> Tony

>>>>>>>

>>>>>>> > On 5 Dec 2023, at 17:14, Matthew Geier mat...@... mailto:mat...@sleeper.apana.org.au> wrote:

>>>>>>> >

>>>>>>> > On 5/12/23 16:59, Robert Taaffe wrote:

>>>>>>> >> When the airport line was designed it was intended that it would never be maintained under traffic, only at night or during possessions.

>>>>>>> >

>>>>>>> > So the assumption was that things would only break on schedule ?

>>>>>>> >

>>>>>>> > Actually given the state of some of the Sydney Citadis already, I think that thinking is being applied to them to.

>>>>>>> >

>>>>>>> > --

>>>>>>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TramsDownUnder" group.

>>>>>>> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email totramsdownunde...@... mailto:tramsdownunde...@googlegroups.com.

>>>>>>> > To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tramsdownunder/5014c3aa-24b4-4bef-a6d9-ecd33e9f2edd%40sleeper.apana.org.au https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tramsdownunder/5014c3aa-24b4-4bef-a6d9-ecd33e9f2edd%40sleeper.apana.org.au.

>>>>>>>

>>>>>>

>>>>>>

>>>>>> --

>>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TramsDownUnder" group.

>>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email totramsdownunde...@... mailto:tramsdownunde...@googlegroups.com.

>>>>>

>>>>>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tramsdownunder/8573f763-0210-4d94-8905-82a646929319n%40googlegroups.com https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tramsdownunder/8573f763-0210-4d94-8905-82a646929319n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer.

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> --

>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TramsDownUnder" group.

>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email totramsdownunde...@....

>>>

>>>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tramsdownunder/db1e3fe4-8d30-47de-a4f2-9be5f9b6b688n%40googlegroups.com https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tramsdownunder/db1e3fe4-8d30-47de-a4f2-9be5f9b6b688n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer.

>>>

>>>

>>

>>

>> --

>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TramsDownUnder" group.

>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email totramsdownunder+unsubscribe@... mailto:tramsdownunder+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tramsdownunder/f1298380-c5f4-4e75-b1f2-c16791f8d04fn%40googlegroups.com https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tramsdownunder/f1298380-c5f4-4e75-b1f2-c16791f8d04fn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer.

>

>

> --

> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TramsDownUnder" group.

> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email totramsdownunder+unsubscribe@... mailto:tramsdownunder+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tramsdownunder/07768648-931C-4865-B86C-83983C121A98%40aapt.net.au https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tramsdownunder/07768648-931C-4865-B86C-83983C121A98%40aapt.net.au?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer.

>

> --

> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TramsDownUnder" group.

> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email totramsdownunder+unsubscribe@... mailto:tramsdownunder+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tramsdownunder/001801da282c%249ce18b70%24d6a4a250%24%40optusnet.com.au https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tramsdownunder/001801da282c%249ce18b70%24d6a4a250%24%40optusnet.com.au?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer.